Monday 19 June 2006

I remember ,I remember, the house where I was born

A great entry for me this one ....so pull up a chair pour out the coffee.....as you know on Saturday ,Maurice and I drove over to Peterborough to Jean and Petes ,We all set off for Northampton,for cousin Alans birthday party,Pete driving ,the men in the front of the car chatting away ,Jean and I in the back ,leaving them standing in the chatting game nineteen to the dozen comes to mind ! It was a lovely drive through our home county Northants ,a differant terrain to the flat reaching fen lands ...The place we actually went to was about three miles from Althorpe ,where we had been a few years before to see the lovely memorial to Princess Dianna at the home of her brother..Charles Spencer , (cant remember if he's an Earl or a lord ! )Earl I think ....Well you know we had a woderful time ...on the way home Pete came off the motorway and took the scenic route ,through all the narrow roads ,all little villages where I had lots of friends, and cycled along ,the wide verge where I had parked my baby sister ,Jean ,when my friend and I went for a paddle....and then on to Kingscliffe where we were born ,We stopped for a while so we could have a little wander ,The church where we were married ,Jean and I were dashing hither and thither ,The men strolled ....Dads barber shop .now very tastefully done up as a house,the cross where we used to meet our friends and wait for phone calls from  boyfriends....and then The house ,the house where Jean and I were born ,our brother John for some reason was born in hospital...and the 'house opposite that used to be a chemist shop cum library ,cum general store and at Christmas time the right hand window would be full of toys ,and I could see it all from my house ....yes we had a really lovely time at the party .but for me this part of the trip was so special ,I'm hugging it to my heart ,thanks so much Pete ,you are and have always been' a gud un '     with love and

Have a lovely day everyone....

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was so lovely to see where you were born. i was born in a hospital and see it all the time so really it doesn't mean anything to me now. my kids were all born there too! i bet its really nice to go back to your home! love Joanne

Anonymous said...

That must have really ended your day on a high note Jan! It's lovely to look back and remember isn't it? The village you were born in looks lovely and peaceful, and what a lovely house too!
I was born at home too, we were in those days weren't we? I'm so glad you got the chance to look back at it all and we all thank Pete for giving you the oppurtunity to take these lovely photos! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan lovely entry today ,I certainly enjoyed Saturday and then going to Kings Cliffe and all the happy memories made it so special and will remember it   for a long time.Like you say every thing seemed smaller or is it we are bigger!! Have a good week ...Love ya..........Jeanxx

Anonymous said...

Glad you all had such a nice day Saturday and how lovely Pete took a diversion and went to the house where you and Jean were born ~ Loved the Pictures of the school and the Village they conjure up such lovely images of your happy childhood ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you had such an enjoyable weekend. How do you mean, I didn't like your joke :-\

Anonymous said...

He is an Earl, Jan. Mum and Dad met his parents many years ago on a visit to Althorpe and was invited behind the scenes, so to speak, for a brief while as Dad had got into deep conversation with Earl Spencer over something, so Mum and Dad had a very special visit (totally unexpected of course) that day and said what a lovely family they were/are. You should have called in Jan, I'd have made you all a cuppa, and you could have had some cake as well! love Joan.
p.s. your entry is still coming up mega wide on my p.c.!!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry Jan, trips down memory lane always bring a tear to my eyes and it does not have to be my trip.  Glad you had such a good day.  The seedheads on that poppy will be perfect for our seed swap.  LOve Joan.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day you had...I enjoy driving by the 2 different houses I lived in here in town.  They both are so different now than they were when my folks bought them many years ago.  Linda in WA    

Anonymous said...

What a nice post! Really liked the walk down memory lane with you! TY for sharing.
Have a nice week.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

There's nothing quite so enjoyable as remeniscing is there? I enjoyed this Jan, thanks. B. x

Anonymous said...

Hello Jan - i love to stroll down memory lane, your entry has me thinking of my old home and all its happy memories.   Thanku
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful entry :o) As my mum and older sister still live in the village i grew up in then am back there often...Although something always seems to change every time we visit them...But there are 3 constants, the butchers (still in same family), chippy (changed hands loads) and the ice cream shop where you get the best vanilla ice cream in the world...Ice cream shop has changed hands lots of times too but the recipe which is a close guarded secret has been handed down with the shop for last 100 years :o) Great pics and now you should have a blue plaque after your fame the other week <ggg>    Caff xxxx

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry Jan. Nothing like reminiscing about the good old days. As Mary Hopkin sung "Those were the days my friend"...

Leigh xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/edwardssoapy/LeighsWorld/"

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you have grown , or maybe they reallt have shrunk the playgroud. lol

Anonymous said...

I still live in the area where I grew up and my Mum still lives in the house where I was born, many moons ago LOL, the infants school; that I attended has now been turned into a house, no shops in the village now but got two pubs, or B&B as they are now,
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

Jan that sounds such a lovely day. I think you should get the blue plaque sorted though lol . Glad you had such a happy time Linda xx PS loved your pics x

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan...

this is a wonderful entry...it must have been really lovely for you to go back and see where you were born and remember the special times in your life...wonderful memories! Take Care!

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time going back in time. Those were great pictures. Helen

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was interesting. Lovely pictures.
I am 73 and can only go back to two flats we lived in before we moved into our present house. Even the first house we lived in when Win and I got married has gone. Not many people can visit the house they were born in. Flats cover the place where I was born. Dan

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day!  How special that must have been to have a walk down memory lane with your sister.  The pictures of the town are so charming.  I bet it was a great place to grow up.  I'm envious and I totally enjoyed sharing your memories.    Kathy

Anonymous said...

An interesting entry Jan...The house still stands where I was born, my Mum still lived there from it being built, to when she went into the Nursing home. My Sister now lives there.
Aileen....X

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip down memory lane.  So glad you had the chance to visit.  Keep them close to your heart...xxxChris

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome!  Hugs and GBU, Shelly