Monday 10 October 2005

A Piscatorial entry!!

Good morning ,Every one ,Im going to be playing catchup now I have discovered how to add my pictures,it wasnt so much how to add them ,more a question of where they were on the computer!The journals today seem to have a fishy theme I ve just read Ally and she tells us a lovely story of how she became interested.And now youve seen the pics of our Sam with his,booty ,beauty...catch! I was given a rather amusing book one Christmas ,by my sister,entitled  The Fishing Widows Guide by Rosie Barham.Iam about to share some of the more amusing,bits. 

Glossary-A few angling terms (and what they really mean)----------BAIT BOX-Tupperware   BARBEL -lady angler in the pub-or a species of fish.  CARP-what they do when they lose a fish or Common,Mirror,crucian,Leather etc.CASTORS(OILED)-what an effiently run anglers house hold runs on or maggots at the chryaslis stage.COURSE FISHING-Shouting abuse at other water users,ie boats swanns ducks etc or fresh water fishing  BIVVY- anglers cant pronounce bivouac.PINKY -affectionate name for a light red maggot SHAKESPEARE BOX-part of a theatre,where you will never persuade your angler to set foot ,or the trade name for a tackle box. PRIEST what catholic anglers look as though they need after a long session or a lead baton used to kill edible fish. ROD REST -time for a beer, or a support for fishing rod.SWIM,you must never do this anywhere near your angler or a section of water so called because fish......er ....swim in it .FISHING LICENCE-similar to poetic licence but only applies to the size of the fish..................AND ...then we come to the letters page ~~from Hooked of Holbeach-I think we have a poltergeist in the house!! I go shopping once a week but tins of sweetcorn and luncheon meat,even crusty loafs of bread seem to disappear overnight and no one knows where they have gone ,Shall I call in a priest.......................Dear Hooked ,your groceries are being thrown in the river.The only course of action is to hit your husband over the head with a priest he is bound to have at least . one in his tackle box.     AND FINALLY ...From Shell Shocked,of Southampton ,My husband and three sons keep using the" F "word.It appears in their conversationin almost every sentence and when I protest,they argue  that it is heard everywhere nowadays,even on T V .I find it most upsetting how can I stop them saying it ?.............Dear shocked.    You will never be able to stop them from saying it,try to ignore it.I understand your concern but the word "fishing "comes from the old Anglo Saxon,and is becoming quite acceptable in polite society.

Well have a good day folks and if your going fishing?---- Tight Lines !!                      Jan xx        

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not heard 'tight lines' since my Dad was around!!!! Memories of fishing rods and maggots (yuk!!) and smelly nets!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved this entry Jan, very funny - Good  one Sam has there (Carp I think) I'm sure mine was as big as that lol...

Fishermans prayer:


God grant that I may catch a fish
So Big that even I
When speaking  of it afterwards
will never need to lie...........Ally

Anonymous said...

Lol Jan, very funny, great pictures as well.

Anonymous said...

Great entry Jan, thanks for sharing the pictures, that is a massive fish!  If i saw that in real life it would turn my stomach, can't do with fish not even from the chippy in batter LOL

Jo xxx

Anonymous said...

Lol, very good :)

Anonymous said...

Great pics and very amusing entry...Love the definitions from the book <ggg>   Caff xx

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jan..long time reader, first time commenter!!! Love this entry! Swing by my ole journal some time :)

Suzy
http://journals.aol.co.uk/suzyh73/AnAverageLifeandotherstories/

Anonymous said...

Thats a good fishing entry today, glad the  book had lots of funny bits in it.Sam looks so proud of his fish, he did so well and I bet Maurice enjoyed his company that day.......Love Jeanxx

Anonymous said...

Lol, very good ;o)
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Pat on the back for you adding pics they're great, and one for Sam too that's a hand full of fish he's got.  Smiled at the entry, it's lovely. Rache xx

Anonymous said...

LOL thanks for sharing that Jan it was rather amusing :-)  Great pics!!

Anonymous said...

love this post. judi