Sandringham is recorded in the Domesday book of 1086, as 'Sant Dersingham',the sandy part of Dersingham,There is evidence of a residence on the site of the house as early as 1296.
In the spring of 1862 Sandringham house was bought from the Hon. Charles Spencer Cowper as a country home for Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, who had just turned twenty one, Prince Edward was the eldest son of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort, was later to succeed his mother as King EdwardVII,his father had died the previous year, but not before he had made arrangements to provide £220,000 to purchase the property and a further £60,000 for improvements.
The Prince made the house habitable and moved his new wife,PrincessAlexandra of Denmarkthree weeks after their marriage in March 1863.As their family and the household grew, two new houses were built in the grounds ;Batchelors'Cottagefor guests and Park house for members of the royal household.Much later,Park House was let to Lord Fermoy,the local member of parliement,whose daughter Frances was born there and who later marriedViscount Althorp,Earl Spencer's son.In 1955 the Althorps came to live at Park housewhere their children were born .Their youngest daughter,Lady Diana Spencer .
Sandringham was handed down to the eldest son so on the death of King Edward VII, it was inherited by King George V, but on the abdication of Edward VIII he sold it to his brother King George VI,our present Queens late father.
So our Queen is the fourth generation,with her family to enjoy this lovely place ,a place we were priveledged to visit earlier this month
This is a signed photograph,King EdwardVII is seen with his three successors,Kings GeorgeV,EdwardVIII,and GeorgeVI
More another day ,...........Jan xx