Tuesday 22 August 2006

Tight lines and Storms

Thankyou for the graphic Donna, I have told you before she has one for all occasions !

Friday morning,very dull ,start to the day ,and not just the weather,I hadnt slept very well so not sure about this ?all packed up soo.....off we set a really grey morning ,about three quarters of  an hour drive to some new lakes an old work colleague of mine had told Maurice about ,At a place in the fens ,Gedney Hill ,we arrived Maurice set up ,I went to explore (we had forgotten the water ) armed with camera ,and kettle I set off discovered the heron ,and the bullrushes ,found lovely clean toilet facility ,and fresh water supply ,filled my kettle and off I went ,spied some golfers as I climbed up the bank to have a look around ,from my summit on the bank I could see for miles out across the fens landscape

Maurice had put the brolly up for me ,so I quickly got the gas stove lit and the kettle boiling for a cup (mug) of tea for him and coffee for me ,we had some breakfast ,then he settled to fish ,and me to knit ,nothing much was happening ,so we were entertained by some dear little baby ducks (I know ducklings ),I then had a read ,the sun broke through was lovely, took picture of the water lilys that had now opened up ,I sat down to read again,and fell asleep ,woke up made more tea coffee and eats ,picked up my knitting again ...

Oh gosh it looks black over there ! Can you hear the thunder !,yes its spotting with rain .....

The rod bowed ,the bite alarm was going crazy .Maurice reeling in !! Im videoing this with the camera ,I hear him exclaim 'oh you beauty',am still filming then CRACK ...the handle on the landing net broke ,an expletetive here ! am still filming so you can hear what he said followed my indignant MAURICE !!(we roared with laughter when we played it back )sounded like Mrs Bouquet...I quickly switched to photo and took the pictures .And then the rain came down ,so hard ! I reckon it went up again...Puppy dogs and kittens or stair rods which ever, it did it!and it thundered and lightened ,the wind got up ....we sat in the brolly and held on to the sides  I thought we would all take off,the anglers version of Mary Poppins lol

                                        

The sun came out and Maurice continued to fish and caught lots of smaller fish ,I did my knitting ,and listened to the local radio station on my little radio ,telling of the storm ..erm right ! around five oclock we started to pack up ....I set off to the loo before the journey home and  was talking to the owner ,who pointed out that my heron was a plastic one ! Durr            Have  a Lovely day everyone 

        Jan xx     

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even with the pour down, sounds like you had a lovely day!
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time, pity about the weather. Lovely graphics and photos.

Leigh :-)
http://journals.aol.co.uk/edwardssoapy/LeighsWorld/"

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures.

I wish Mike went fishing, he likes the countryside seen from our patio or through the car window, I have great trouble actually getting him into it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day ~ and those fish Maurice caught bet he was pleased with them ~ sorry he broke the handle of his landing net (he will be able to talk about that for ages "you know the fish was so big it even broke the handle of my landing net"  he will be able to dine on that story for ages lol) ~ laughed at the Heron being plastic ~ and the picture of the waterlilies is lovely ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

it looks to me like you had a nice day and you were well prepared for the rain too. I have never seen an umbrella like yours... its so nice and to have tea without electricity too. You are so clever. What kind of fish were they we were wondering? Sandra

Anonymous said...

What a pleasant way to spend the day, mind you, I think I'd sooner be knitting than fishing! Glad you had a good time, despite the rain. Lol at the plastic heron! B. x

Anonymous said...

Sounds like bliss to me and have done that many time in the past. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

oh i do love your rain  cloud!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a super time. But rather you than me outside in a storm, they scare me.  Lovely graphics.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Mrs Bucket eh!!!  Sound like you had fun, then there is always the tale of the one that got away, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,  It sounds like you had a great day out fishing, despite the stair rods!  How much did that huge carp weigh?  I must show it to Jim, he`ll be very impressed.  You look lovely and cosy inside the umbrella with your knitting.  I`m afraid I don`t have the patience to sit there all day which is why I rarely go.  I`d drive Jim mad and would probably end up in the lake...lol!  LOL at the plastic heron, I didn`t know they could fly...lol! :o))

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Maurice had a great day out, even if the weather was a bit iffy.  Never seen an umbrella that size before......I could do with one like that up here!
That was one big fish - no wonder the net handle broke!
Love your entries Jan, they always give me a giggle!
Hugs,
Ains xxxx

Anonymous said...

hi Jan...

looks like you had a good day out...love the pics and graphics too! Best Wishes!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
what a lovely day you must have had,  even with the storm!  The fishing looked good.  Thanks for sharing it with us. I can't get out and about so easily these days and it is nice to be able to share your day out with you
Sybil

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, despite the heavens opening up..lol!!

Great entry, and love the pics!!

Lv Stevie
xxx

Anonymous said...

Jan
What a great fishing expedition the two of you had!  Nice catches for Maurice!  What is the name of those fish he was catching?  They kind of look like they are from the carp family in the pictures.  I had to laugh when I read that the heron was plastic, LOL!  I like the umbrella setup and the stove and kettle.  A little comfort goes a long way in the great outdoors.
Sam

Anonymous said...

wow what great fish:) i want to go fishing again soon:) enjoy the rest of the week

Deb

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lovely relaxing day :-)  LOL @ the plastic heron that made me laugh!!  Shame Maurice's net broke and you must've been brave to stay there during that storm!!

Anonymous said...

A lovely day was had by the water's edge - until the storm came. Great entry.

Anonymous said...

What a grand day, even with the rain.  We hope to go fishing (notice I didn't say catching LOL) at the end of September when the weather is cooler for my husband's health.  Man that was a large fish!  Do you cook them?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, what a beautiful entry, wish I was there seeing the fens that dad wrote about with such feeling...
luv
Rach.xxx

Anonymous said...

At least Maurice caught something so made it worth while going! That's a big brolly Jan! Sorry you got caught in the storm but at least that plastic heron didn't fly away! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I did have to laugh about the plastic heron.  That would be something I'd do, too!  Your day sounds like so much fun even with the rain.  I'm glad your husband was able to catch some fish and that you had a nice time exploring and reading.  Sounds so relaxing!
~..ô  Kathy  

Anonymous said...

Jan, you're so funny! he he! I really enjoyed that and all the pics (plastic heron!) I wouldn't have known though! sounds such a lovely day. Linda xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindachapmanuk/metamorphing

Anonymous said...

Besides being a bit wet, well maybe more than a little, it sounds like one lovely day you had.  Kettle boiling on the stove with tea and some beautiful countryside.  Sounds wondeful!  xx  Chris

Anonymous said...

Dear Jan, what a wonderful and very enertaining story! and your graphics fit so well it was as if we were reading a book!
love you, natalie
http:/journals.aol.com/Lurkynat/Interface/

Anonymous said...

haha at the heron!!!! hope you didnt get too wet! love Joanne

Anonymous said...

This is very funny! I have never understood folks who like to fish...it must be boring! I thought you fished to but I am glad to see you are there for the cups of tea and the sunshine!! Just a slave to the fisherman! Love all your pictures! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

This is very funny! I have never understood folks who like to fish...it must be boring! I thought you fished to but I am glad to see you are there for the cups of tea and the sunshine!! Just a slave to the fisherman! Love all your pictures! Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Maurice had a pleasant day despite the rain - you even made light of that situation!
Cute entry!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good fishing trip!!  Lol at the plastic heron, that's the kind of thing that I do!!
Gill xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the Heron and I hope you did not get wet.

By for now,

John.

Anonymous said...

Must be quite nice watching the rain from your umbrella tent.Lovely photos. .lol at you knitting and doing your own thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jan - i laughed at the plastic Heron!   and you knitting - go girl!  AND a fabulous thunderstorm how wonderful, if you know what i mean!   What a super trip you both had and fish for tea too :o)
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

HiJan ,what a whooper,the fish that Maurice caught .You sound like you were well orginised for the fishing trip.I bet all that fresh air made you tired and ready for bed that night .Sorry the landing net broke !! but laughed at your language and the plastic heron!!!........Love Jeanxx