Sunday 10 March 2013

When Granny (me ) was a little girl

 
Once upon a time there was a little girl her Name was Janet ,and she had a brother John (sorry no picture )
And a little sister Jean ..
They lived in the olden days ,when things were very different
 
 
 
 
 
These were called flat irons and would be heated on the fire/stove to heat them before doing the ironing

 The children would watch these characters on the television,Bill and Ben ,The Flower potmen ,with little we ed.

It was some times easier to bath the babes in the sink ,to save getting the zinc bath in from the yard and  save heating alot more  water ,

My brother loved these books,so did my Dad !

Here is one of our favourite toys

And for PT(physical training )we wore our plimsolls no trainers in our day
 

Look at the school desk

No ebay ,either ,we could shop from the catalogue ,and pay weekly,or as my Dad used to joke 'The glad and sorry '...glad youv'e got it and sorry you have to pay for it !!

Our milk came in bottles ,delivered by the milk man who would also take away the emptys that once the milk was gone ,we would wash and leave on the step for him ,you see we recycled then too. 

 Get the kids to bed ,its the adults bath night

The children all enjoyed a third of a pint of milk at break time  at school.. 

At bed time the kettle would be boiled to fill these stone bottles with hot water ,to keep us warm in bed ,and if one should fall or get kicked out of bed in the night,an almighty bang would wake everyone up

 
Another favourite tv programe was Dear little Andy Pandy ,Teddy and  LoobyLoo,their Dolly friend

Many happy  hours were spent on our roller skates on the hill out side our house ,Do you remember singing- Iv'e got a brand new pair of roller skates ,youv'e got a brand new key?

And to keep us little girls warm ,over our vest and under our jumpers we wore our liberty bodice.And we hated them!!

Oh look the radiogram,see the lovely big speakers!
 
 

A tredle sewing machine ,very much like my first one


Here comes the delivery  boy

And we musnt forget wash day! look at this,and it has its own mangle


I hope you enjoyed all the pictures I have been snagging and saving ,if I pinched any you recognise as yours ,they probably were, so very sorry and erm thank you 
And now as Sooty Sweep and Sue,used to say Good bye everyone Goodbye

 And from me ......Love Jan xx

11 comments:

Kath said...

LOL.....I remember the days well haaaaaaa.Yes quite a few were my graphics,but you are most welcome anytime to any of them Haaa.So many remind me of home yrs ago.Especially Dads bath night,him being a miner (Salt of the earth they were).Love you.I hope you have had a lovely Mothers day,you deserve to, as any Mum does..Take Care God Bless Kath xx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Lots of good memories there in your post today. I remember the milk deliveries and the little milk containers we had every day at school too. I learned how to sew on a treadle sewing machine. Thanks for sharing your memories today. They do bring back a lot of smiles for me.

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVED this look back. I had that sewing machine, skates and spirograph too.

dottycookie said...

This was brilliant - some things I do remember, some things were before my time but I did like your post!

chris said...

I remember my Mom putting cushions on my backside when I was learning to roller skate in case I fell over. My memories are similar but being a tad younger not all of yours. I had a rubber hot water bottle not a stone one.

imac said...

Quite a few memories there my friend

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Jan, found your blog at last, you can tell we are about the same age, I remember all you have posted here. All very interesting tell us more.
Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog, yes you know who I am don't you.
Pat x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kezzie said...

Oh how lovely! I feel all nostalgic, even though some of these are before my time!x