Saturday 18 November 2006

A village near us

                                                                                                   Good Morning every one ,I have been wanting to post this story ,about the supposedly last Witch to be put to death as Donnas graphic suggests the Fens holds many secrets, I also wanted to take some pictures ,as we pass through this village on out way to Huntingdon ,well yes ,we went to Hunts yesterday and yes I took the pictures Maurice said lets do it on our way back ,I said no, otherwise we might forget ,as it happened it was pouring with rain on our return ,so as usual I was right !

 

Witches of Warboys"

 

       In November 1589, Jane Throckmorton, the 10-year old daughter of the Squire of Warboys in the Fens, started suffering from fits and seizures.

       Initially treated by Dr. Barrow and Master Butler of Cambridge University, they first ignored her accusations against the 76-year-old Mrs. Alice Samuel. By the New Year, Jane's four sisters and some of the servants were exhibiting similar symptoms, all accusing Mother Samuel of bewitching them.

       In September 1590, Lady Cromwell, grandmother of Oliver Cromwell, came to Warboys and practically accused Mrs Samuel of being a witch. After this, Lady Cromwell had nightmares, became ill and died in 1592.

       The children continued with their behaviour through to December 1592 when Mrs Samuel begged them to stop their fits. Which they did. The local parson now made her confess to being a witch, but she recanted a day later.

       She was taken by the police to the Bishop of Lincoln, and terrified, she confessed again, adding that she had three familiars. These were her chickens, Pluck, Catch and White. she was brought back to Huntingdon and imprisoned with her daughter Agnes and her husband John Samuel.

       The three were tried on April 5th 1593 for the murder, by witchcraft, of Lady Cromwell. Alice confessed and added that she'd had sex with the devil. Agnes was urged to plead pregnancy to put off her execution, but replied "Nay, that I will not do. It shall never be said that I was both a witch and a whore."

       After the Samuel's were hung, Sir Henry Cromwell confiscated their meagre property to pay for an annual sermon against witchcraft in Huntingdon. By the time it ended in 1812, though, the sermons were against the belief in witchcraft.

 

I love local History as you know ,I should have posted this for Halloween ,but hadnt taken the pictures then so I am  pleased to share it with you now ,the local School children  wear a badge on their uniform ,which bears the logo of the witch...I did this entry in yellow ,then decided it wasnt very good to read, but as you can see It doesnt want to change ,

Jan xx

 




 

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting Jan, I love things like this as you know. So many poor souls met their fate because of the hysterical behaviour of others or just because they were disliked.  Liked the photos as well.  Hugs.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

lovely story mother!! love Joanne

Anonymous said...

i love old history like this:) have a good weekend:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

love the entry jan just one little niggle thou Warboys is a town not a village.

Anonymous said...

great story...and i like the pics too.
hugs,lj

Anonymous said...

So many innocent people were convicted around this time, glad I didn't live in those days, I don't like witches! Have a lovely weekend! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Jan very interesting love stories like that but did find the yellow hard to read.  Hope you are well Love Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/

Anonymous said...

Those days of witch hunts was really a bad time.  People didn't understand many of the things we take as everyday now. I find it interesting that the weathervane has a witch and the children have that badge on their uniforms...perhaps it's a good way to remind us not to judge others too harshly.  History is fascinating and can teach us many good things.  I always felt that was my favorite subject to study and love the stories and quotes from the past.  Thank you for sharing your travels.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Great story Jan, when I find a color that is hard to read sometimes as the light pink will do I just highlight it and it turns to blue where then I can read it. LOL.Yes, I saw the witch.  Have a nice wekend. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

Fascinating story!  Loved it and the pictures, and the annimated gif!
Thanks so much for posting!
Marie

http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I didn't live then, I think I would have been considered a witch, with my familiars (Cats & Chickens) and the way I sometimes 'know' things.

Thanks for telling us the tale but that poor family!

Linda x.

Anonymous said...

More! more! lol great pics, I thought of all the history that pond had seen....they still have the witch on the vane and on the school badges! It must have been awful to be alive then omg! creepy. loved the entry again Jan....thanks again for sharing Linda xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindachapmanuk/metamorphing

Anonymous said...

Great story Jan, thanks for sharing. B. x

Anonymous said...

A brilliant entry Jan, I to am interested in local folklore histroy about different places we visit,
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

I knew that we had witch hunts over here in the states, in Massachussetts, to be exact, but I wasn't aware they had them in England.  Guess I should have known that as most of what we did over here in those early years of colonization started over in the Mother Land..
Very interesting entry.. and loved the pics, Jan!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

I love reading about things like this. Loved the pics too.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that story, Jan. Witches? Hmm, ever been to Wookey Hole in Somerset?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting entry Jan,and just the right graphic too.Though I am not sure if I am fond of the school badge with the witch logo on.Great pictures of the witch on the clock tower.Yes the yellow was quite hard to read,or then again is it these old eyes of mine? LOL!! Enjoyed that entry.Take Care.Have a good weekend.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this m'dear :o)
How awful though, poor old Alice and her family!
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

I love these stories Jan ~ just glad I didn't live in those times ~ Loved the pictures and I could see the witch on her broomstick ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

hmmm very interesting....I am sure I have passed through  that village on the way to Huntingdon without being aware of its history.  Eve x

Anonymous said...

I love "Witchy" stories!
bella xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindapaterson177/IstartedofthislifewithnothingIst/

Anonymous said...

I always connect East Anglia with the supernatural, Jan.  Borley Rectory and other creepies !  Bunny x

Anonymous said...

Yep,I can see the Witch Jan! I love these kind of entries . . i have always loved local history . . its great to hear yours too.

Anonymous said...

Jan, I really like the pictures and the Witch story too. The pictures that you have posted now and in the past of areas near where you live are beautiful. I wish I could see countryside like that in person. My Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Jan, This was a really cool entry, but sad.  I swear I died by burning, in another lifetime.  Every summer, for about a month, I get burnt somehow every single day.  It could be the cooker, boiling water, a candle, the ways go on and on.  It's like a residue from another life.  That poor woman hung because she had an affinity for her chickens.

Love,

Susie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/susanebunn/ItAllStartsAfter50/

Anonymous said...

Great story!  I wonder if the Samuel's have any ancestors?  Maybe my sister-in-law is from their line?  LOL  
Hugs,  Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan ,good story  but sad out come .They did so believe in witchcraft in those days,I wouldn't have liked to have lived then.Lovely photos of the duck pond and church ........Love Jeanxx

Anonymous said...

Fascinating story, Jan.  Amazing how the mind tends to take off and accuse some poor soul of everything that happens.  The Salem witch hunts in Mass. in the states always fascinated me.  I'm not quite sure I would be comfortable with the witch logo's though.  I really don't see the point in having the children wear them.  I did see the witch on the broom.  xx  Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan - loved your 'witchy' story and the weather vane!!   I think i am a bit of a witch myself, maybe my book of 'spell's up there on the shelf gives it away! ;o)
Take care, Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

Dear Jan
thank you so much for the lovely history lesson!
hugs, natalie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan...

Great pictures and I loved the story...Have a great week!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent entry Jan but made me feel a bit sad. As you know, the witch hunts carried on here in the States and many were accused and burned at the stake. The pictures are great. Well, let's thank goodness it's history and you certainly are an adept at that subject!
Thank you,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Just as I was about to add my comment , my cup of coffee 'mysteriously' fell on the floor breaking my favourite little mug boo hoo..... Nothing to do with this subject matter of course ;-)
Good on yer Jan for highlighting this piece of local history.  I used to belong to the local History Society and did some research on the Witches of Warboys, there were many sad and cruel stories similar to yours.  I won't say anymore incase you are going to continue with this particular piece of our local history.  So glad you've always got your trusty camera with you :-)

Anonymous said...

Just read the comment from brk753 about Warboys being a Town and not a village, and I'm not sure that you are correct.  We always refer to it as 'the village of Warboys'.  It really isn't big enough to be a Town.

Anonymous said...

I love these entries...they're always so interesting.
Love the witch on the watchtower, very unusual.  Have never seen anything like that before.
Hugs,
A xxx

Anonymous said...

wow how interesting,yep that pic does look like a ducking pond,the fens do feature alot in these tales and hold alot of myths in the areas,very interesting indeed,zoe xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/zoepaul6968/DomesticAbuse/

Anonymous said...

Goodness this is quite an unsettling story. From my forays into history I would guess that it would not take much to be killed for witchcraft in those days! Sometimes you wonder if things have improved until you read stories like this!  Gerry

Anonymous said...

An interesting entry and I too love history :-)

Jen xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jmoqueen/MyLife